What Is FABLAB?
Alfab Lab (Fab lab) is an abbreviation of the two words (Fabrication Lab) and mean manufacturing laboratory began the idea Alfab Lab in industrialized countries where the formation of the Fab Foundation (Fab Foundation) on February 9, 2009 to facilitate and support the Fab Lab network of international growth through the development of centers and regional institutions for Fab Lab, an American non-profit organization affiliated to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was established by Professor Neil Gercinfeld, where he is working to provide the tools and knowledge to spread the culture of innovation and invention by using digital technology and manufacturing. The Foundation has established a network Fab Lab, which is about an international network of manufacturers, scientists, engineers, teachers and students between the ages of 5 and 75 years, and working in some 200 Fab Lab laboratory in more than 40 countries
FAB LAB UAE
A WORLD OF CREATIVITY:
This initiative comes as a response to the directions of H.H Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahiyan, President of UAE, while announcing 2015 the year of creativity, and the announcement of H.H Sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, of the national strategy for creativity which is expected to run for a duration of 7 years. It consists of 30 national initiatives in its first phase which places UAE ahead of the race, recognized worldwide, in the field of creativity. And from here the Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Distinguished Academic Performance announced establishing Fab Lab UAE, which happens to be the first of its kind in the UAE, designed per international standards and specifications set for the Fab lab laboratories.
The concept was conceived to execute the directions of H.H Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, Minister of Finance, Patron of the Award. His Highness envisioned such efforts to upkeep the national plan for creativity. By doing so, efforts go hand in hand with the Ministry of Education and its affiliated institutes through joint programs that enhance opportunities for achieving national strategical goals . His Highness's vision revolves around having the Award encourage students to extend their research with methodological constraints intact, and stimulate their motives towards exploring and knowledge. Such state efforts will only entrench the advanced status UAE has set for itself in the international arena, and all this is due to the great support provided by the wise leadership dedicated to education which bares advanced and modern trends aiming at embedding the creative criteria in all endeavors.
Fab Lab UAE project will be a provision to two paths of creativity:
- The Main Fab Lab laboratory that serves all social categories through using the latest devices, programs and digital manufactured devices. As it will also provide training with the help of experts and specialists in this field.
- Fab Lab subdivisions which revolve around building small Fab Lab laboratories in schools that provide devices, programs, enriching curriculums necessary to enforce creativity and productivity by students. This will also be supervised by teachers and specialists.
- To accommodate the nation's vision in placing UAE among the leading countries in the field of creativity
- Dissemenate the culture of creativity, innovation and art of making in the UAE society.
- Creating stimulating enviornments for innovation, as it encourages universities and schools to entrench methadologies of research and exploration among new generations.
- Preparing upcoming generations to access the digital world through technology.
- Preparing national assets that will lead the future in the field of innovation.
The programs and services being provided by Fab Lab UAE covers the sectors mentioned below, which comes in line with the national strategy for innovation and that was announced by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President, Prime Minister, Ruler of Dubai. The fields are:
- Renewable Energy
THE TARGETED INDIVIDUALS:
The main Fab Lab offers its services to all social segments, starting from age 12 and above. As for the Fab Lab subdivisions, school students are the main interest here, from primary grade to high school.